The proposed alignment of the Goregaon Mulund Link Road is undesirable and harmful on many accounts and many citizens of Mumbai desire that it must be changed. A far better alignment exists in the form of a tunnel below the Sanjay Gandhi National Park,which would begin somewhere at the end of the General A K Vaidya Marg and emerge ~ 6kms later through a tunnel on the Mulund side. Following are the points against the existing alignment.
1. MCGM proposed alignment is far longer than the tunnel option. The proposed alignment is around 16kms long whereas the tunnel would be approx. 5-6 kms. In the image below the green alignment is the tunnel which is less that 6kms. The red option is the one currently proposed by MCGM (alignment is not accurate, only based on news reports)
2. MCGM Proposed alignment involves far too much much disruption as compared to tunnel option. There is just no need to cause so much disruption to the Aarey Colony with 1000 trees to be cut and leopard and other animals habitat disturbed, besides disrupting a place of some solitude in Mumbai which is also visited and loved by thousands of Mumbai citizens.
3. Aarey Milk Colony is seeing an onslaught from too many proposals, proposed zoo, Metro 3 Yard and now this proposal. We need to save the Aarey Milk Colony as the largest and most pleasant urban green in the city today. This is also an important biodiversity area besides a buffer to the Sanjay Gandhi National Park and the time to show some better sense an appreciation for nature is now.
4. Tunnel option can be constructed in a year round mode with absolutely no disruption from trees, utilities, man-animal conflict, loss of a large urban green.
5. The costs thought not available to me, will I am sure be more in the case of the BMC proposed option. Anyways accounting for the intangible and tangible costs of the disruption the proposed option is costlier.